Forget love marriages and arranged marriages, the recent news of renewal of contract marriage, between Hollywood celeb couple Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise has made me write this post. I have nothing to comment upon Contract marriages as such. There’s this piece of news which is rather shocking:
Apparently, while the contract b/w the celeb couple is up for renewal, here are some demands made by Katie, for the same:
1. An extra $500,000 for supporting Scientology, the religion that Tom follows
2. An annual increase in her annual clothing allowance from $750,000 to 2 million dollars
3. Katie reportedly received a $3 million bonus from Tom when she gave birth to Suri. For more children, Tom has increased the additional offspring offer as an incentive for Katie to get pregnant again. He’s ready to pay upto $5.5 million for Katie, to get pregnant, with a 2 million dollar bonus if she conceives by 2011. Katie, however, seems to wants at least 11 million dollars if she gives birth and 5.5. million dollars if she ‘tries and fails’.
The first 2 demands sound both, very funny and strange. It’s the 3rd demand which has kinda invoked a disgust in me… I mean, WTF guys??? Apparently, giving birth to a child, is a very beautiful process. It’s beautiful and miraculous to give life to a new life. God’s greatest gift ever. The best thing that can ever happen to a woman is to be a “Mother”. It’s priceless. And thus, it’s absolutely disgusting to see Katie pricing her motherhood. On Tom’ side, I can only laugh my a** out when I imagine a situation, where, Katie is half way through delievering a baby and Tom could only manage to pay $10 million by then. The baby is half out, half in. Katie tells Tom, “Baaki ke 1 million dollar pay karo, warna mein bachche ko baahar nahii aane dungi…!!!” LOL 🙂
If Tom’s got so much money, then instead of spending it on Katie’s “motherhood contract”, he can atleast fund it to all those innumerable families who can’t afford the hospital charges of delievering a baby and so, give an unhygienic and an unsafe birth to the baby at home, resulting in mother’s or child’s death in some cases. God help him.
On second thoughts, though I’m happy this system of contract marriages does not exist in India, what if it were to exist? I see an advantage…!!! If women start asking for money, before getting pregnant, I can see an end to a lot many problems like,
1. Women will start earning, sitting home. They can really be independent n self-sufficient.
2. There will be a lot of population control, if fathering/parenting a child comes at a cost.
3. There won’t be any case of unwanted pregnancy and of killing innocent infants further, because Pregnancy will be a “calculated and financed” effort 🙂
4. There won’t be any abandoning of girl child any further. Who would want to abandon a child worth Rs. thousands???
On the other hand, farfetched it may sound, I’m afraid this system would also bring a day into our lives where we’ll get to hear conversations between kids, like,
A: Mera janam 5000 Rs. mein hua hain.
B: Abe, teri kuchh bhi value nahi hain phir! Mera janam to 1 lakh mein hua hain.
As it is, we all are sick of being witnessed to racial, financial, national, regional, caste n religion-based divide amongst people. I just pray to God, I won’t ever have to see a new kind of divide, the one based upon the birth-value, as mentioned in the conversation above. I’m sorry…!!! I would prefer a peaceful death, before seeing any such day.